10. When I was 8, he made me buy a real fishing rod instead of the crummy Snoopy one, and explained why the real one was better.
9. He bought me a BB gun even though my mom almost had a conniption fit.
8. He always let me order food like I wanted it in restaurants, and made sure the server knew the 9 year old really did want her steak medium rare.
7. He read me grown-up poetry, and taught me to look up, speak clearly, and be proud when I read aloud.
6. He taught me to love good cheese, good coffee, and tinned sardines on crackers.
5. He taught me to protect people smaller and weaker than myself from thugs and bullies.
4. He came to all of my basketball games.
3. He took me on evening walks, and the cats would come to keep us company.
2. He showed me that what you do is infinitely more important than what you say.
1. He stayed with me for one lovely day when I was ill and fevered, on a boat, in a foreign land, and it was perfect.
I love you The Most Of All, Daddy. Thank you for everything.